Kaiser Staycation #2

If you read my last blog, you know my surgery was pushed back quite a few days due to a stubborn fracture blister and swelling. I was really upset about it as my surgeon that did my first surgery would be on vacation and Tony was leaving for his trip literally the same time I was scheduled for surgery. So not only was I getting a new surgeon who knew nothing about me, I would wake up out of surgery without my husband by my side. SHIT-TY! Of course it all ended well and once again the universe had its own higher plan for me. It turns out the second surgeon that ended up performing my surgery is a highly acclaimed trauma surgeon and is the best of the best. I'm positive his path was supposed to cross mine in order to receive a better matched surgeon for my injury. Plus my husband found a phone at the lodge so I was able to talk to him the morning he left on his hike and after my surgery. (There's no cell service where he will be the entire time he's gone so getting to talk to him one more time before he gets off the mountain was great.)

So I was all set for my second Kaiser Staycation. My Aunt would be taking me in and would be the one who was there when I woke up. (I love you Aunt Terrie!) I was hoping my hospital experience would be as good as it had been a couple weeks prior minus the whole metal leg attachment drilled into my bone thing. I am positive this will be the most expensive staycation I will take in my life. Not quite the luxurious accommodations one would expect for the cost but I am thankful Kaiser will pick up my bill for me. The only thing missing was good food, beach, ambiance, wine, husband, a window. It's a good thing they kept giving me IV Dilaudid to make up for their lack of Piña Coladas. 

It turns out I still had a lot to learn about hospital stays.

#1- Hope to get a good roommate. I was fortunate to have Mary, an awesome roommate during my first Kasier Staycation. My second roommate Mrs. Barbara was nice but was not as healthy as Mary. It seemed there was an alarm going off every five minutes. Breathing, IV, bed, calling the nurse, etc. It was never quiet. Plus Mary could walk to the bathroom. Mrs. Barbara could not.

#2- When you graduate from a bedpan, you move to a commode as demonstrated very well by Mrs. Barbara. Couple that with her release of a five day accumulation and the nurses started singing songs and making baby noises at her "new baby." #whydoestheroomsmellsobad

#3- I would rather use a bedpan over a catheter any day. There's always a first for everything.

#4- Nerve Blocks sound like a good idea when you're writhing in pain. They just forget to mention the horror of having a four inch needle stabbed in your leg over and over and over to find the nerve they want to block. Once they're done though, your entire leg will be numb for 12-18 hours.

#5- I ate dog food for dinner one night. I think it was Alpo.

#6- Dina Sipin can not handle needles. She pretty much screamed and ran out of the room when I had to get a shot in my stomach for preventing blood clots. Hahahaha I'm still giggling! Dina-Thank you so much for bringing me sushi and hanging out with me. It was really special.

#7- Speaking of shots, I officially could care less about having my blood drawn, getting an IV, or getting a shot. Trust me after all the pain I was in, a little itty bitty needle is like a flea bite, nothing.

#8- I am a bad druggie. Went seriously junkie status crying the second morning. They cut back my meds so I could come back to earth. Earth is lovely.

#9- It seems there must always be one crazy screaming lady down the hall.

#10- I could never ever ever ever be a nurse. Wow! It's amazing what they do and always with a smile.




Comments

Popular Posts