Happy Independence Day!

The 4th of July is my holiday. It's by far my favorite day of the year. I start every 4th proudly hanging my flag by my front door and lining my walkway with little flags for added patriotism. I've usually planned a purposely casual BBQ with close friends where it's just an evening of hanging out, eating comfort food, drinking good wine, and ending with fireworks. I always feel a strong sense of belonging on this day, a deep connection to my country and a feeling of nostalgia. It symbolizes the beginning of summer and all of the freedoms that come along with summertime. It reminds us to be happy with where we are at, who we are with, and with what we have. To be Simple.

 I remember as a child my parents taking us to watch the fireworks in Lake Elsinore. It was so exciting. They would pack up the car with snacks, blankets, and pillows and pick out the perfect spot overlooking the lake for us. We would hang out with friends listening to music while munching on the fun snacks Mom packed. When the fireworks started, it was mesmerizing. I couldn't believe how big and beautiful each one was. And the sound! Oh wow! I never wanted them to end. Memories I will never forget, back when life was so much easier.

This year it's hard to describe how I'm feeling about this 4th. Obviously I'm going to miss out on the BBQ's, beers, and the fireworks but there's an even darker feeling hovering over me. I am realizing life is just not that easy anymore. Nothing seems simple and the feeling of real freedom is slowly slipping away. So many of us have become slaves. We are slaves to our jobs in order to feel accomplished and to pay for all of the "stuff" we think we need. We are slaves to our unhealthy thoughts that limit what we are actually capable of doing in our lives, whatever that may be. We are slaves to our fears, which are just made up in our minds. We are slaves to being "comfortable" even if being comfortable doesn't equal happiness. And lastly we are slaves to our shame, which won't allow for vulnerability which is needed to grow and learn.

Maybe I'm naive to think my parents had it easier when we would go to the lake for the fourth, I don't know. I do know my perception on my life as it was is changing, and hopefully out of this I will become simpler, healthier, happier, and free again. My flag is waving in the wind today, as a symbol of hope for all of us who need a little more freedom.








Comments

Popular Posts