Robo Cankle

After being on round the clock bed rest since last Wednesday, I was actually a little excited to head to Kaiser for my skin check this morning. It would be nice to see outside (my plumarias are blooming!) and I was feeling positive about my visit. I knew it would probably be both a physically and mentally draining day, but I was prepared for whatever the outcome was even if not what we wanted.

Following a small breakdown of feeling defeated and vulnerable over not being able to fit my leg in the car, we headed to San Diego. Tony planned a "spirit raising" stop at Sizzler (my deepest darkest secret love is Sizzler salad bar) to get me pumped up for my appointment. Since making my own salad wasn't an option, I wrote on our receipt what my dream salad was and he made it perfectly for me. I noticed the little boy at the table next to us desperately trying to figure out what was attached to my leg.

It was nice to see some of the medical staff that helped me last week while I was in a much calmer state of mind. The worst of what they would do to me had passed and today was the test to get me to the next part of this journey; surgery. I had followed the doctor's orders perfectly and was hoping it paid off. The nursing student was in charge of cutting off the bandages and preparing my ankle for the orthopedic surgeon to look at. While peeling off layers of blood soaked bandages, I mentally prepared myself for what I was going to see.

And it wasn't pretty.





The staff said they'd seen worse. Unfortunately surgery would not be an option this week. Not only was everything still swollen, the fracture blister I had developed wasn't healed yet. Doctors new orders are 23 hour a day bed rest with no wrap to let the skin breathe. Target surgery date is now Monday. It's getting down to the wire to the latest date they can operate before it starts to heal on its own which will bring a whole new set of complications to work through. I need some healing thoughts from you all!


The positive from today? My new nickname according to my husband is Robo Cankle!

Comments

  1. Gee Jaime, at least your toe nails are painted! I sure hope you have a speedy road to recovery. If you get too bored, you can read my daughter's blog. She graduated in San Diego in early May and is taking a year off to solo travel the world. Must be nice huh? Anyway, she is blogging her travels in case you're interested: http://anggoesmapless.wordpress.com/

    I am enjoying your blog btw! Good luck with everything. I'm sure you'll get through this with flying colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you John! I will check out her blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh Jamie... Sorry to hear about the delay, sending prayers for healing and the green light for Monday. Did you see that quote I posted on my blog about blooming the other day? YOU are so this quote right now. Everything for a reason friend... This will all be in your rear view mirror soon. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I did see it and totally thought it was fitting for me too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts