Hobble




[hob-uh l]




verb (used without object),hobbled, hobbling.
1.
to walk lamely; limp.




I'm definitely rounding the corner to the hobble stage of my journey. Two months ago I was dreaming of the day I would be able to put one foot in front of the other and take a beautiful unassisted step. Although I limp severely, and can walk about as fast as a two legged turtle, I'm so thankful for my progress. It seems like it just keeps getting easier which is such an amazing change. Like many of my previous blog posts I like to share what I've learned from this journey. Here's what I've learned about hobbling:

1- Once you progress from wheelchair to crutches to hobbling, no one, including your physical therapist, gives a shit about form. Hobbling is the Hail Mary of walking. Just don't fall and everyone's happy.

2- That bad form ^ causes additional pain in your calve, knee, quads, butt, and low back. It's a good thing I'm a pro at pain management. 

3- Who knew scar tissue on your foot could send lightening pain up your leg when touched a certain way. My physical therapists is working hard to try and minimize that tissue.

4- I paid with a little bit of my soul after working a 12 hour shift yesterday. I'm exhausted and my ankle has been screaming all day.

5- It's really hard to push a cart of wine boxes while using one crutch. It's like the cart and wine boxes can sense my weakness and purposely fall over just to get a laugh.

6- I'm super good at over doing it. 

7- I still can't wait to be normal again.

8- Public speaking is a little bit more intimidating when you have to hobble onto the stage. 




Comments

  1. It's so exciting to hear things are progressing for you. Wise words from one who knows... Don't over due because sometimes the set back from doing so is really rough. Would love to get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome and brave! Hope you are doing alright at work. Hobble on ,my friend.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts