Payback's a Bitch

As you all know by now I'm kind of getting good at overdoing it. It's not anything I'm doing intentionally it's just hard to gauge what will be overdoing it as the state of my ankle changes daily. Some days there's very little pain, the motion seems ok, and my limp is small. Then for no reason I'll wake up the very next day with a sumo wrestler sized ankle and very real pain. So being able to gauge what I can handle on a day to day basis is difficult. Plus it's hard to keep me still; even though still is what I've always needed.

My physical therapy is going good and we are seeing a small improvement in my range of motion. I do have quite a ways to go but everything seems to be getting a little better. The weird "popping" tendon finally quieted down and my toes are starting to bend a little more. It's amazing how connected everything in your foot is. There are tendons in my toes that when the therapist bends just a little too much, I can feel pain all the way to the top of my ankle. When she works on breaking up my scar tissue, I can feel an electrical wave sometimes halfway up my leg. It really is crazy interesting although painful.

I've noticed lately with the increase in physical activity (walking, riding, standing at work) I am getting some spasms and I'm pretty sure I'm developing plantar faciitis. Hopefully it won't be a concern and it's something simple to fix. In the meantime, I'm back to wearing only my supportive shoes (no moccasins) and lots of ice packs. All of this back and forth, pain/ no pain, swelling, and limits can really wear on you. I'm definitely so much better than even a month ago but wow, this is a really long recovery and it's still hard to grasp. The universe has to remind me (a little bit of payback for overworking myself) to not forget the lessons I've learned and am continuing to learn on this journey. Although it seems so much easier to go back to the crazy stressful way I was living before this accident I choose everyday to take the harder less known path in hopes of finding my peace.


Comments

Popular Posts