I Haven't Learned my Lessons

I had my first pool therapy this past Friday. For a second I got caught up in my old ways of thinking and was promptly reminded by the universe those thoughts only bring anxiety, fear, and disappointment. I had become attached to the idea I would have no problems walking in the pool and it would help progress me to walking on dry land much quicker. My Physical Therapist explained that when you are in water it takes 50% of your weight away so it's much easier to stand and was positive I would be able to stand and walk in water. Unfortunately we were both wrong.

After getting over my anxiety of using crutches on a wet surface, I was able to scoot myself into the pool without having to use the motorized chair (which for some reason scares the hell out of me). It was going to be awesome to finally take a few steps without any walking aids. I put my foot forward and with no fear took a step. My foot just didn't work and I stumbled almost dunking my head in the water. Yikes! I tried again but this time shortened my step. I was able to limp forward moving about four inches with each labored step. My limp was so bad, my good foot made thumping sounds on the bottom of the pool. The other girl doing exercises actually asked if someone was working on the roof. No, it's just me trying to walk.

When my Physical Therapist walked in to see how I was doing he immediately had me stop. I was so out of alignment because of the severe limp he was worried I could pull my hip or knee (which was throbbing) out of alignment too. He gave me some non walking pool exercises to do and said we would reconsider my program and discuss it when I got out of the pool. It turns out I'm a little bit more limited than they thought I was. My timeline for waking just went from one month to three months. Three more months of crutches. I didn't cry though. It is what it is right?

I'm having to change all of my expectations all over again, which is ok. I go back to work next week, crutches and all. I've been driving here and there ok just with increased swelling and pain from pressing on the gas and brakes. I know it will just get better and better and hopefully so will my patience.



Comments

Popular Posts