These Boots are Made for Walking

On August 20th, 2014 at 9:57am my surgeon told me the best possible news I could receive.

"Your bones are completely fused and you can start putting weight on your ankle."

Those are the words I have been waiting for him to say for so long. I dreamed about this day and it was finally here. "Can I take my boot off? Can I swim? Can I drive? Can I do yoga? Can I ride my horse?" I'm sure my surgeon is used to all of the ridiculous questions his patients ask right after he tells them such good news.

He patiently answered all my questions with realistic answers (no you can't drive yet, riding your horse will have to wait, yes you can take off your boot) and sent me to the pharmacy to buy the sexiest compression sock you've ever seen. It will help with the increased swelling and pain I will experience once I start putting weight on my ankle. Whatever, pain and fear of pain have no control over me anymore. I can start walking!!!!

So today I woke up with big expectations and couldn't wait to try walking. Uhm, ok so the doc really knows his stuff. He kept telling me it will take some time for me to be able to actually walk. I heard what he was saying but didn't quite understand the meaning of it. I assumed I could walk, he just wanted me to take it slow because of the pain. But reality is I can't walk and I have pain trying to walk. My muscle is so atrophied there's no way it can support my weight. My tendons are so stiff I can't even stand with my heel on the ground unless my foot is about 8" in front of my body. My nerves SCREAM when I do put some weight on it, and it feels like I might fall down. Aye aye aye.

I know it's only been one day. Patience. Be present. It will come. Tomorrow I will try to walk again and the next day and the next until I take my first step without any crutches, walker, cane, husbands shoulder, etc. It will come.

Despite realizing I still have quite a journey left I did have three pretty cool milestones happen since yesterday. For the first time in 11 weeks I slept with nothing on my foot. No splint or boot. It was so comfortable! I also took my first shower standing up and put on two socks and two shoes. Well one sock, one super sexy compression sock and my hiking boots since they have the best support. I'm sure I looked pretty dorky but compression socks and hiking boots are still cuter than a wheelchair!

Comments

Popular Posts