More Life Lessons

I truly believe this unfortunate accident was the universe's way of teaching me a few life lessons I desperately needed. The universe had been whispering at me to slow down for years but I stubbornly ignored it. I've never had time to slow down, nor do I even know how to, or even really wanted to. I swear I heard someone scream "FU Jaime" right before I slipped and broke my ankle. I'm pretty sure the universe was tired of whispering.

 I struggle with anxiety, fear, and living out of the moment daily. I'm a perfectionist who puts others before me to the determent of my health and well being. I also have a hard time accepting help. These are a few of the lessons I've learned and have had to explore deeply these past few weeks. I have made more progress healing myself from these issues since my accident than I had in my entire 37 years before. Miracle? Maybe.

I'm also learning from this experience to not get attached to a particular outcome. What's supposed to happen will happen regardless of what I think the outcome will be. I've experienced this many times throughout this journey. Like the day I broke my ankle and I thought I would be back to work the following week. Or when I thought I only had a simple broken ankle and would have surgery the Monday after the accident. Or I would only need one surgery. Or I would be walking within 6 weeks of my second surgery. The list goes on. This lesson teaches me to choose to let go and just be. It's freeing and reduces any anxiety I may experience if the outcome I perceived changes.

Although for the most part, I feel I'm doing pretty good, I have been struggling with patience this week. I've overdone it physically a couple times (and paid for it). Most days I find myself feeling a little (a lot) stir crazy. The better I feel, the harder it is for me to stay still. I know my body is still healing and I need to rest but OMG I'm starting to hate my couch. I find myself feeling a little down and even frustrated some days, just wishing I could get up and walk. This may be my next life lesson materializing; patience. I'm definitely listening to the universe's whispers this time.

Oh yeah and I'm down to 1/2 of a Norco at night. I'm almost there.

Comments

Popular Posts