My future. Maybe.

It's been exactly nine weeks today since my accident, er life lesson. Life goes on as normal all around me even though my life has so drastically changed. People that I have not seen in awhile or don't follow my blog assume I'm back to normal like nothing ever happened. When they realize I'm still recovering they are shocked. Yes, it's a long recovery.

If things go as planned, which if you read my last post you know that "going as planned" is usually not the case, I will be in recovery for the next year. Yes, one year. Being the optimist that I am, I'm already planning my celebratory backpacking trip for next June so I better work really hard and follow doctors orders if I'm going to be doing the North section of The Lost Coast trail. Part of my planning involves researching and purchasing the best ankle support high-top hiking boots as well. I don't care how much coin I have to drop, I'm buying the best boots in the world.

Here is what my remaining recovery looks like, no attachments though, as I'm sure things will change.

August 20th- Next appointment with my surgeon. He will take X-rays to see how far along my bones have healed. Depending on what he sees, I may be able to start putting partial weight on my ankle.

September 15th to October 1st- Surgeon's goal for me to start putting full weight on my ankle. I will walk with a cane or single crutch for a few weeks. I may be able to drive depending on ankle movement. If I can walk and drive, I can go back to work.

September 15th to October 1st- Start physical therapy 3x per week for approximately six months.

I might be able to go on easy hikes this winter.

I will have a limp for up to six months.

I will have swelling and pain for up to a year.

I will most likely develop arthritis in my ankle when I am older (hopefully really old) as most of the cartilage is gone.

But the good news is he expects my ankle to recover 100% by next summer. I'm hoping by then the ghost of the memory of that moment I heard my ankle break that haunts me will be healed too.






Comments

  1. Oh yes you WILL get there, I know it! It took me three years for my recovery and thought it was long and painfully slow at times I am a better person for it. Daily aches continue but it doesn't stops me from doing what I love. You have a great attitude towards this, sending love and light your way for continued healing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts