Hiking & Healing

Today we went hiking and it helped me to feel again.

National Parks are still open, and we hardly ever have time to get out to Joshua Tree, so we filled up our packs for the day, hopped in the car, and drove straight to the trailhead for Eureka Peak at Black Rock Campground in JTNP. We were careful to make sure we had everything we needed so we wouldn’t need to stop anywhere and possibly be exposed. When we pulled up to the parking lot, it was practically empty. Perfect.

After being shut down emotionally for the past week or so, I knew exactly what I needed and that was to put my feet in the dirt and take a long hike. We started the 10 mile loop in perfect weather with the sun peeking out from huge white fluffy clouds. As soon as my boots hit the dirt, I knew today was going to be amazing. About a mile in, just like that, I started to feel again.

Tony asked if I was ok and the tears started flowing. And I let them flow. It was glorious and I felt so much release. I let go of fear, uncertainty, and heaviness that was causing me to shut down. I felt lighter and happier. I felt energized again. This is exactly why hiking is so healing. The physical exertion caused emotional blocks I was holding onto and overloading my nervous system with to release. It is magic.






We made it to the top of Eureka Peak and it was stunning. There was no other place I would have rather been. After our lunch, we headed back down to our car and didn’t see a single person until the last mile. Everyone was respectful of our space and everyone seemed happy to be outside. We hopped in the car and drove straight home- so happy we spent the day doing what we love.




For the four-ish hours we were on the trail today, I mostly forgot how much our lives have changed. How much our daily life as we know it will never be the same again. It was like nothing existed outside of the trail. Hiking forces us to remain present and mindful. I have so much gratitude for being alive and being able to hike up to that beautiful peak. These are the things that really matter.




Comments

  1. I have hiking crying pictures in my camera roll, too. I agree with the magical release. My hiking terrain is heavily wooded, Minnesota loveliness and I feel the woods calling me to heal on the regular. Trauma and divorce and overwhelm don't stand a chance in the woods. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️❤️❤️ Thank you for sharing Melody.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts